Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Girl and Her Car

It was the typical morning confusion at our house- breakfast and devotions were over and I was overseeing chores and trying to get the older children into gear. Derek and Mandie, who need no prompting to get in gear, headed outdoors as usual and pulled out their riding toys. I heard the cycle leave and knew Tim and Derek were going to the Roses to check on their new fish tanks. Some five minutes or more elapsed when we heard a strange call from the gate. "He-e-e-y!" This is not a typical Honduran greeting, so I ignored it at first. After all, it was probably someone who wanted Tim, and he wasn't home. The caller continued persistently so I finally went to the front door and peered toward the gate. A man on a bicycle waved frantically at me. Pointing up the road, he shouted, "La niƱa! Un carro le va a matar!" ("The child! A car will kill her!") I was down the steps and at the gate in a flash. A glance up the road confirmed his words, for there in the middle of the road went my independant little girl on her green car, heading for El Eden! I took off at a gallop, barely taking time to holler "Muchisimas gracias" to the hero. As I sprinted toward her, she glanced over her shoulder with a huge satisfied grin and then resumed her journey uphill. At first she looked like a mere speck on the far horizon, but in reality she had gone as far as the neighbor's gate, which is a good distance away, considering that there is a large orchard between our house and theirs. I scooped her up and held her close, much too shaken even to scold. She chattered happily as I carried her and the car back home and then sank weakly into the nearest chair. How many people passed her during that time is a question that cannot be answered, but I do know at least one vehicle went by just as I had arrived at the door. The children of course wondered whether she would have gone to Jeremiah's house or to the church, had she reached El Eden. I just shuddered and declared we certainly would have missed her before she would have gotten that far! Needless to say, everyone is now on high alert that the gate must always be LATCHED, not merely closed.


How could a mother not believe in angels?

5 comments:

Boof said...

Amanda Rose,
You must always, always ask permission from Papa Bear or Mama Bear before you take your wheels to the road.
This story reminds me of the prayer poem Mommy Weaver had about angels protecting her children. The last line says, "Just now I heard the swish of angel wings." Do you have that poem?- I think you'd like it.

Naomi said...

Boof,
#1. It's Amanda JANE, please. =)
#2. I've read that poem but don't think I have it... Yes, I would like it.

Iva said...

Dear Lord, Could You spare some Guardian Angels to give me peace of mind; As my children wander from me and stretch the ties that bind? You have heavenly legions, Father could You send me just a few, To guide my eager youngsters As I give them back to You? O thank You, Thank You, Father, And oh my glad heart sings, I'm certain that just now I heard the swish of passing wings..

Aldee said...

Makes me weak just to read it!

janie said...

O Noami i sure do believe in guardian angels and i Thank God for protecting your precious girl !ur story made me cry ...love and miss you so much !!janie