Thursday, May 21, 2009

More Motherhood Moments

- I am doing laundry on the back porch, confident in the knowledge that the children are bent over their desks, diligently doing math lessons. A movement in the lawn below the boys' bedroom window arrests my attention, and I turn to see a pink balloon bouncing through the grass. Suddenly the barrel of a BB gun appears through the open window and several seconds later all that remains are bits of pink latex and gleeful chuckles.

-I am seated at the kitchen table, laboring over a hand written letter when Mandie toddles up beside me, making her familiar grunting noise that means "Looky here, Mom!" A glance down at her uplifted hand sends shocks of terror through me and I begin shrieking hysterically. There, clasped between her thumb and forefinger is a tiny gecko, its beady black eyes imploring me for pity. "A GECKO!!! SHE HAS A GECKO!!! AAAAAAAGH!!!" Mandie promptly drops her hapless victim on the floor and stares at me, fascinated. Half an hour later my legs are still quivering.

-I walk into the girls' bedroom one day and notice a new decoration on the wall above the dresser. Emily, the creative one, took the pink and black frame of a clock which no longer worked and turned it into a typical, girlish-looking motto. Her choice of quote reveals as much of her character as does her uneven hand:
"Idleness is a constant sin, and labor is a duty. Richard Baxter"

-"Has anyone seen the book I was reading?" the question comes from Josh as he crashes onto the sofa. "Is it a blue book?" wonders Derek. "Mm, I don't think so," I reply absent-mindedly, dicing another mango into the fruit salad I am preparing for supper. "Cause the blue book is in the chicken pen," Derek continues helpfully. "The- what did you say?" the rest of the mango drops into the bowl with a splatter and I turn toward my small son. "And just what on earth is a book doing in the chicken pen, pray tell?!" Derek sighs -adults need so much explaining of the obvious- and reminds me that earlier in the day he brought a batch of eggs to the house in his backpack(!) which he emptied of his usual treasures in order to accomodate the eggs. After a short speech on carelessness, I accompany him to the chicken coop where we find in the nesting boxes, the blue book, an undressed doll, sunglasses, several scraps of fabric, a keychain, and a short piece of PVC pipe.

-Then there is the sick night, wherein four out of five children take sick and three out of four fail to reach the proper destination in time. I spare you details. Only let it be known that the father of those children deserves prizes for Cleaning Nasty Stuff in the Middle of the Night.

-I am a very blessed woman.

8 comments:

Nate said...

Aren't kiddos great.

Dorcas said...

Very enjoyable. Such stories always amuse me greatly, especially reassuring to know we are normal at our house!

Anonymous said...

Naomi, As I was reading this post I was thinking, "Another stressed out Mom", but instead the ending is such a pleasant surprise. Love your writings.

Aldee said...

Very Funny! At least if it happens to you and not to me. :) Freddie informed Grandma the other day that he is going to move into a big old red house close to Derek and she is supposed to come visit him. :) know of any houses for sale?

Gabriel & Hillarey said...

I'm highly amused . . . and looking forward to getting to know your kiddos. =)

Iva said...

Buggy Noam.....You just made my day...

Linda said...

Loved it. In Mandy's defense, I remembered an old story about a baby girl who sucked all the hair off a caterpillar and grew up to be a normal, functioning adult. Take heart!
Your writings are always good, but this one is extra good.

Daniel and Melissa Troyer said...

I sit here with a calm (for once!) and sleeping Weston on my lap. I have to smile at each delightful glimpse into your life... I love your mothering style! It is so refreshing to me! Love you and miss you...