Thursday, May 28, 2009

Earthquake!

I rolled over in bed and squinted at the alarm clock on the stand next to me. "Two o'clock," I sighed. "And I was awake at midnight too... wonder why I keep waking up?" Wearily I turned onto my back and willed myself to relax. Suddenly I was jerked wide awake by a violent heaving of our bed- first an up and down jolt and then ending in a sideways swaying motion. I bolted upright and tried to catch my breath as the walls creaked and groaned around us. A deafening clatter from the bathroom added to the confusion as Tim leaped from the bed and braced himself in the doorway. "An earthquake!" I gasped, and dashed to the children's bedrooms. The ground now steadied beneath me as I checked on the girls, who both appeared to be sound asleep. Wails greeted me from the boys' bedroom, and all three boys were crawling out of their beds. "Nobody was by my bed, but it wouldn't stop wiggling!" Derek whimpered. "It's an earthquake!" I explained as I herded them to the living room and opened the front door where Willie the dog was yapping excitedly. Meanwhile Tim dashed outside to check on the chickens who were screeching in panic. He found the entire flock in a frenzy, wildly seeking an escape from their enclosure. Amazingly, the electricity didn't go off, although the street lights dimmed briefly. I walked carefully through the house looking for broken items but found nothing more than a few bottles toppled over and pictures hanging crookedly on the walls. The clatter that sounded like dishes breaking turned out to have been only a metal rod falling onto the tile floor!

The phone then began to ring as friends and neighbors checked in and shared their fright. "I was dreaming about the coming of Jesus," Ricardo chuckled, "And then I woke up in the middle of the earthquake!" "Is everyone okay at your house?" This time from Lucas. "We're a little frightened, but everyone is fine," I assured him. "Same here!" he exclaimed. Sleep forgotten, we rehearsed the events of the night and discussed the possibility of aftershocks.

Finally there was nothing else to do but go to bed. The boys were soon fast asleep and I too eventually drifted off to restless dreams but Tim got up and watched for news breaking online. An hour after our shocking arousal, the New York Times posted the first announcement of a magnitude 7.1 earthquake about eighty miles north of the coastal town of La Ceiba.

Today's inspections revealed a few cracks in the walls of our house and evidence of water having splashed out of the fish tanks, but no serious damage was found here on this property. We have not heard of any homes crumbling in this area, although some families had their possessions broken, or, in at least one case, burned when the quake caused a lighted candle to fall. Our friends tell us that Peña Blanca was in complete chaos as everyone fled to the streets in panic. What a wonderful opportunity for us to proclaim tidings of peace!

We are so grateful for God's protection last night, as well as for the confidence that even tonight we can go to bed in peace knowing we are in His hands!

Quote of the Night by Derek: "This is a purty bad night!" -minutes after the initial shock when all of us were dashing about in a state of confusion.

2 comments:

Iva said...

what a comfort to know that you ARE in God's hands..

janie said...

Yes we pray for Gods peace surrounding your hearts and home tonight..Dereks comment is so charming! Our love janie